Homesteading and Forum for Countryfarm Lifestyles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hi from Arkansas!
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 3:18 pm by Arkyrick

» Guinea hens
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:08 pm by KC574

» Greetings from Arizona
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:01 pm by KC574

» Shetland lambs fencing
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:11 pm by Thistle

» Did my doe miscarry?
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 pm by Thistle

» our farm dogs
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:19 am by hettick1

» new member intro
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 am by hettick1

» Pink eye in cattle
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 pm by Admin

» Our Farm dog Jake
Square-Foot Gardening EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Poll

Square-Foot Gardening

2 posters

Go down

Square-Foot Gardening Empty Square-Foot Gardening

Post  JohnD Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:09 am

Can anyone tell me more about square foot gardening? I have seen a couple of articles on it, and I believe a book or two has been written on the subject, but I cannot seem to find much on the subject. Can anyone tell me if they have used this method of growing vegetables and is is just a fancy name for the old method of growing vegetables in raised beds. I really don't see much difference. Perhaps others out there can enlighten me.

JohnD

Back to top Go down

Square-Foot Gardening Empty Re: Square-Foot Gardening

Post  RiniB Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:44 am

Hi John

We have just started planning our new vegetable garden for the spring, and we are very interested in the method of square-foot gardening. So at this stage we are still novices and learning. What I can tell you is that the method is not revolutionary, but rather a whole lot of good ideas that have been combined into one system. For example, Mel ... can't think if his surname right now, but he came up with this idea. Basically he suggests companion planting, growing plants in a way that is organic and also using raised beds with his suggested special soil mixture which then allows you to grow vegetables or flowers on any type of ground, even cement! So, it is really more than raised beds. The soil mixture he sells is really only equal parts of peat moss, vermiculite and compost. This mixture holds water well, aerates the soil and feeds the plants.

He suggests growing plants in a square, around 4 ft x 4 ft, and then within that square different plants are grown. This way they grow together, shade each other, cut down on weeds, you don't over plant either and with such a set up you don't end up compacting the soil when you weed as you can easily remove the weeds due to the set up.

The only thing we will have to do is decide how we are going to raise the beds. At this stage we haven't decided on brick or wood. Brick is more permanent, but more expensive. Mmm...

RiniB

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnD Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 am

Thanks RiniB for replying. I would be very interested to find out how your square-foot gardening goes. I don't know where you are, but here in the UK it is freezing cold, and spring seems to be a long way off!

JohnD

Back to top Go down

Post  RiniB Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 pm

I remember now that his name is Mel Bartholemew. He has a website which gives more info on the subject.
It's here:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

We have a couple of books that I can recommend if you like.

Rini

RiniB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum