Homesteading and Forum for Countryfarm Lifestyles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hi from Arkansas!
Pink eye in cattle EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 3:18 pm by Arkyrick

» Guinea hens
Pink eye in cattle EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:08 pm by KC574

» Greetings from Arizona
Pink eye in cattle EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 6:01 pm by KC574

» Shetland lambs fencing
Pink eye in cattle EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:11 pm by Thistle

» Did my doe miscarry?
Pink eye in cattle EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 pm by Thistle

» our farm dogs
Pink eye in cattle EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:19 am by hettick1

» new member intro
Pink eye in cattle EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 am by hettick1

» Pink eye in cattle
Pink eye in cattle EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 pm by Admin

» Our Farm dog Jake
Pink eye in cattle EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Poll

Pink eye in cattle

2 posters

Go down

Pink eye in cattle Empty Pink eye in cattle

Post  maverickspecial2 Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:56 am

Last year my herd got hit with pink eye. I had 5 calves that were affected with 2 recovering fully and 2 that have partial site. the last one is blind. How do other cattle farmers deal with pink eye. I purchased some meds for prevention but still concerned about the upcomming spring calving season. Any Comment?

maverickspecial2

Back to top Go down

Pink eye in cattle Empty Pink Eye in Cattle

Post  Admin Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Although it is not possible to stop pink-eye in your cattle completely, you can contain it through good management. One of the worst insects for spreading pink-eye from one cow to another is the face fly. By controlling the flies, you will minimize the spread of the pink-eye. You can also vaccinate against the pink eye bacteria, however, as an organic farmer I shy away from these things where I can.

You have to look at the causes, rather than just treating the symptoms. Vitamin A is particularly important for the health of the eyes — an outbreak of pink eye (keratitis or kerato-conjunctivitis) is a sure sign of a deficiency. Feed your cattle cod liver oil. Not only will you not get pink eye, but their coats will shine, and you will see that they are in top health.

It is also important to protect the cattle's eyes from the sunlight when they get pink-eye. If not you will get blindness, which is what happened. There are eye patches that you can purchase, however the trick is making sure that they stay on!

Catching the disease early is most important, because then you have a chance of making the changes and implementing a treatment.

For flies, if you are looking for an organic approach, there are a number of herbs that you can plant around the barn and paddock as hedges that will keep the fly population down. These are tansy, lavender and basil. There are others, but all of these are good for biting flies.

Regards
Kathryn
Countryfarm Lifestyles
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com

Back to top Go down